Deepali is rated Northern California, Rising Stars and Top Women Attorneys, Super Lawyers, 2016-2018.
Deepali is an Intellectual Property and Privacy Attorney. Deepali’s practice focuses on all aspects of Intellectual Property with 360 degrees coverage including disputes, litigation, prosecution, sale and licensing. For privacy matters, Deepali helps clients on compliance and breach incidents related to HIPAA, GLBA and GDPR. She has also helped clients with strategies involving opensource and IP protection related to blockchain and digital currency technologies.
Deepali has handled all aspects of litigation in numerous intellectual property litigation matters at district court and ITC including managing day-to-day docket, depositions, expert discovery, hearings including Markman, summary judgment and trial. She prepares and prosecutes patents with an eye towards potential assertions and licensing revenues. She has worked on post-grant proceedings including inter partes review and ex-parte reexaminations from both offensive and defensive sides. She has also worked on due diligence investigations for mergers & acquisitions, infringement and validity analyses.
Prior to joining One LLP, Deepali worked at biglaw firms of Weil, Gotshal & Manges, LLP and Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP. Deepali is a registered patent attorney before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Prior to becoming a patent attorney, she worked in research and development at Cisco Systems, Inc. and is an inventor on five issued U.S. patents in the fields of networking, wireless, and security.
Deepali’s networking and security engineering background helps her work efficiently with client’s IT Professionals on Privacy, Compliance and Data Breach incidents. She can speak the IT language and the attorney/business person language for the C-Suite Executives zeroing on the key issues in optimum time allowing for a quick and an efficient resolution for the client.
Deepali was the primary author on the Alice Motion, affirmed by the Federal Circuit affirmed in the Northern District of California for client Tree.com. Internet Patents Corp. v. Gen. Auto. Ins. Servs., Inc., 29 F. Supp. 3d 1264, 1270 (N.D. Cal. 2013) aff’d sub nom. Internet Patents Corp. v. Active Network, Inc., 790 F.3d 1343 (Fed. Cir. 2015).
• United States Patent and Trademark Office Registered Patent Attorney, September, 2005.
• Federal Courts including E.D. Texas, N.D. Cal. and C.D. Cal.
• Certified Information Privacy Professional, U.S. private sector (CIPP/US) and member of International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
Education & Background
IP & Privacy Attorney at Progress LLP, a small firm with 12 attorneys.
IP & Privacy Attorney at Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP, a Tier 1 big-law firm.
IP Attorney, Cisco Systems, Inc., in-house experience.
IP Attorney at Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP, a Tier 1 big-law firm.
Engineer, Cisco Systems, Inc. Technology Center.
Engineer at various companies involving Telecommunications, Voice Over IP, Textile Automation technologies.
Santa Clara University School of Law, J.D. cum laude.
San Jose State University, M.S., Computer Sciences, magna cum laude.
Lalbhai Dalpatbhai College of Engineering, Gujarat University, EE, magna cum laude.
Deepali is rated Northern California, “Rising Stars” and “Top Women” Attorneys, Super Lawyers, for three consecutive years from 2016-2018.
Languages: Gujarati, Hindi, Marathi
Illustrative Professional Experience
• Representing a Startup on Trademark license and founders’ contract dispute (2017-present). Successfully resolved another founders’ dispute regarding intellectual property assignment.
• Representing a BioMedical Device company in monetization of its patent portfolio (2017-present).
• Represented a Medical Interface company on IP and patent prosecution.
• Represented a global mortgage and finance company with subsidiaries in India on privacy compliance including GLBA.
• Represented a medical subscription company on HIPAA compliance.
• Netgear, Inc. v. TheHappyStore, Superior Court of California (2017). Represented TheHappyStore against counterfeit products allegations brought by Netgear, Inc. Case settled favorably after filing of an early motion.
• Trial Counsel for Lattice Semiconductor Corp. v. Technicolor et al (2016-2017). Represented Lattice Semiconductor regarding HDMI Standard essential patents and Founders dispute. Case settled favorably.
• In Re Earpiece Devices Having Positioning and Retaining Structure and Components Thereof, 337-TA-912 (2014-2015). Represented Monster in an ITC case filed by Bose concerning headphones. Favorably settled two weeks before trial.
• In Re Sintered Rare Earth Magnets, Methods of Making Same and Products Containing Same, 337-TA-855 (2012-2013). Represented Monster in an ITC case filed by Hitachi concerning headphones. Favorably settled three weeks before trial.
• Trial counsel for a smartphone company in a case brought by TFT in the Eastern District of Texas (2015). Following a favorable Markman ruling, the case was favorably resolved. Represented a smartphone company on several litigations including Potter Voice Technologies, Cellport Systems, Digcom, Blue Spike, Papst Licensing, IXI Mobile.
• Trial Counsel in numerous patent cases for Centrify Software, including cases brought by ORG Structures and SoftVault. (E. D. Texas and N. D. Cal., 2012 -15) in technology involving network security. Cases favorably resolved.
• Trial Counsel for Quark Software for case brought by SoftVault. (N.D. Cal., 2016). Cases resolved favorably after filing of a motion to dismiss.
• Trial Counsel in numerous patent cases for Corsair Components, including cases brought by Better Mouse, Data Carriers, EDigital, Novocrypt, Goodman (E. D. Texas and N. D. Cal., 2013 -15, S. D. Texas 2015). Cases favorably resolved.
• Trial Counsel for Aerohive Networks, Inc. in patent cases brought by Airtight and Linex (E. D., S. D. Florida and N. D. CA, 2012 -15). Cases favorably resolved.
• Trial Counsel for LendingTree brought against Zillow and others. (W. D. North Carolina, 2012-15). Cases favorably resolved.
• Trial Counsel for LendingTree brought by Internet Patent Corporation (N. D. CA, 2012 -15). Motion to dismiss granted for LendingTree and upheld by the Federal Circuit.
• Trial Counsel for a storage, files and cloud company in its three lawsuits against competitor in N. D. Cal., 2008-2010. Cases settled favorably.