John Lord is a registered patent attorney. His practice focuses on intellectual property matters, including patent litigation, trademark litigation, trade secret misappropriation, and copyright litigation. His expertise also extends to transactional matters, due diligence, and counseling in a variety of intellectual property matters. He has successfully represented small and large companies, research institutions, and individuals, both as patent owners and accused infringers. As an example, he represented a research institution in a five year patent infringement case that resulted in royalty payments in the hundreds of millions of dollars. He has also achieved a number of favorable settlements and outcomes on the defense side for his clients. He has experience in a wide variety of venues throughout the country, including federal and state courts, arbitration proceedings, and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Mr. Lord’s clients value his ability to understand a broad range of technologies, his thorough preparation at every stage in the case, and his litigation strategy and positioning.
Prior to joining One LLP, Mr. Lord practiced intellectual property litigation at Townsend and Townsend and Crew (now Kilpatrick Townsend) in Palo Alto, CA, and at a patent litigation boutique based in the Eastern District of Texas. In law school, Mr. Lord externed with the Honorable Florence Marie Cooper of the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
Representative cases and matters include:
- Cordelia Lighting, Inc. v. Zhejiang Yankon Group Co., Ltd et al. – Representing Cordelia Lighting in patent infringement action and related inter partes review proceeding involving LED lighting technology.
- NCR Corporation v. Documotion Research, Inc.– Representing Documotion Research in patent infringement action involving columnar adhesive linerless label rolls.
- Biocell Technology LLC v. Arthro-7, Inc. et al.– Represented all defendants in patent infringement and false advertising action involving dietary nutritional supplements.
- Peter Wolf v. Capstone Photography, Inc. – Represented Capstone Photography in patent infringement action involving method for providing event photographs.
- Agranat IP Licensing v. Hewlett Packard Co.– Represented Agranat in patent infringement action involving embedded web server systems.
- Forterra Systems, Inc. v. Avatar Factory Corp., et al. – Represented Forterra Systems in patent infringement action involving 3-D virtual world technology.
- CSIRO v. Intel, et al. – Represented CSIRO, the national science agency of the Australian government, in patent infringement action involving wireless communications technology in 802.11 a, g, and n standards.
- CSIRO v. Broadcom, et al. – Represented CSIRO in separate patent infringement action involving wireless communications technology in 802.11 a, g, and n standards.
- Hynix Semiconductor Inc., et al. v. Rambus Inc. – Represented Hynix in patent infringement and unfair competition action involving DRAM memory.
- Ormco Corporation v. Align Technology Inc. – Represented Align Technology in patent infringement action involving orthodontic appliances.
- Kovio, Inc. v. Nanogram, et al. – Represented employee of defendant NanoGram in trade secret misappropriation case involving high technology silicon materials.
- KAI U.S.A., Ltd. v. Buck Knives, Inc. – Represented Buck Knives in patent infringement action involving spring-assisted folding knives.
- Hamburger Habit v. The Habit Restaurants, et al. –Represented The Habit Restaurants in trademark litigation.
- Catholic Charities CYO v. Caritas Creek –Represented Caritas Creek pro bono in trademark litigation.
- Lickerish v.Alpha Media Group – Represented Lickerish in copyright litigation.
Admissions & Memberships
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- State Bar of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Courts for the Central and Northern District of California
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- Co-author, “Evaluating the Effectiveness of the Inter Partes Review Process” Los Angeles Lawyer Magazine, July/August 2016
- Port of Los Angeles Advanced Trade Connect Program, Protecting Intellectual Property, May 19, 2016
- IP Litigation Seminar, LA Law Library, April 16, 2014
- LAIPLA Road Show, Loyola Law School, September 26, 2013