Mitchell Brook advises clients on intellectual property (IP) strategy – how to grow and monetize an IP portfolio, utilizing contentious IP strategy if necessary:
- Developing patent and branding strategies.
- Monetizing or acquiring technology rights; IP due diligence.
- Trademark portfolio development and management.
- U.S. and international patent applications in mechanical, software, medical devices, Internet, furnishings, and computer technologies.
- Internet enforcement strategies.
- Numerous industries, including medical devices, software, Internet, retailing, construction and furniture.
- International IP rights.
Mr. Brook has successfully handled thousands of U.S. and foreign patents and trademarks, litigation of patentand trademark rights, UDRP cases and tech transactions.
Prior to joining One LLP, Mr. Brook was an International Partner in Baker & McKenzie, the largest firm in the world, and a partner with McKenna Long & Aldridge (formerly Luce, Forward, Hamilton & Scripps).
Marjor companies look to Mr. Brook for IP, but he also enjoys developing and implementing growth strategies for emerging companies. Early in his career, he was on the team representing Polaroid in its litigation against Eastman Kodak (Polaroid v. Eastman Kodak) regarding instant photography film and cameras. This remains one of the largest patent infringement cases, resulting in an award of approximately $900 million (before inflation) to Polaroid. He has handled other litigations and licensed intellectual property enforcing core IP rights and creating new companies or subsidiaries.
Mr. Brook is a speaker on patent and trademark law, and has served as a claim drafting instructor for a Patent Bar review course. He has presented seminars on Section 102 of the Patent Law, recent developments in patent and trademark law, international IP strategy, authored several authoritative publications regarding computer software and business method patents and contributed to Patent Law and Practice.
He also brings a unique international perspective with expertise in transactions with and representation of international companies. Recently, he has been rated one of the leading international lawyers in San Diego by AVVO.
Mr. Brook has been recognized as a “Best Lawyer in San Diego, (2012)” and will he accepted the “2012 Fostering Innovation Through Collaboration” Award on behalf of McKenna Long and Aldridge, awarded by The Security Network.
- Partner – Baker & McKenzie
- Partner – McKenna Long & Aldridge, formerly Luce, Forward, Hamilton & Scripps
- New York
- Board, Friendship Circle of San Diego
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Federal District Courts for the Southern and Central Districts of California, and Southern and Eastern Districts of New York