Vishwanath Kootala Mohan (“Vish”)
Vish is an intellectual property associate with a Mechanical Engineering background. He is both an intellectual property litigator and prosecutor, which allows him to have a 360-degree view to protecting his clients’ intellectual property rights.
As an intellectual property litigator, Vish works on cases involving issues such as patent, copyright, or trademark infringement, trade secret misappropriation, false advertising, and unfair competition. He works on all stages of litigation at the trial level in the U.S. district courts from drafting discovery requests, complaints, and motions to taking and defending depositions. He also works on all stages of litigation at the appellate level in the U.S. courts of appeals from drafting appellate briefs to arguing in front of the court. In fact, he has also drafted a Petition for a Writ of Certiorari to the Supreme Court of the United States (available here).
As an intellectual property prosecutor, Vish prosecutes patents and trademarks for clients ranging from Fortune 100 companies to startups. He is involved in all stages of intellectual property prosecution. He has worked on cases pertaining to different technological areas such as virtual and augmented reality, artificial intelligence, social media, electrical circuits, and medical devices.
Public Interest and Pro Bono Work
Vish participates in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit’s (Ninth Circuit) Pro Bono Program and has represented clients with immigration and criminal law issues in front of the Ninth Circuit. He also participates in the U.S. District Courts’ Pro Bono Civil Rights Panel and handles cases filed pursuant to 42 U.S.C. § 1983, i.e., cases focusing on the civil rights of prisoners. Further, he is also actively involved with the Public Counsel and handles immigration asylum cases in front of the U.S. Immigration Courts.
He is also a member of the Orange County Bar Association’s Pro Bono Committee that works to increase access to justice for people in Orange County.
He also counsels governments of developing countries on their intellectual property policy. He is also actively involved with various NGOs around the world in fighting against social evils such as rape, domestic violence, honor killing, and illiteracy.
Vish regularly writes on intellectual property law issues. Some of such writings include:
- The Patents, the Politics, and the People (Orange County Lawyer, September 2018) (available here).
- Supreme Court Slants in the Favor of First Amendment (Federal Bar Association, Spring/Summer 2018) (available here).
- Anything Under the Sun: A Primer on Patent Law Protection (Attorney Credits, Online Education, 2017).
- Star Athletica V. Varsity Brands: Scotus Cheers for Broader Copyright Protection (Orange County Lawyer, July 2017) (available here).
- TC Heartland v. Kraft Foods Group: A Vehicle to Resolve the Patent Law Venue Dispute (Orange County Lawyer, April 2017) (available here).
- Amicus Curiae Brief (TC Heartland, LLC v. Kraft Foods Group Brands, LLC, February 2017) (available here).
Vish regularly speaks on intellectual property law issues. Some of such talks include:
- Working with Damages Experts in a Patent Infringement Case (Markey IP Inn of Court, May 2018).
- Anything Under the Sun: A Primer on Patent Law Protection (Attorney Credits, 2017)
(This is a continued legal education session presented by Vish and available for purchase here).
Interests and Skills
Vish is fluent in seven languages. He also practices MMA, plays soccer, and plays the mandolin.
Professional Memberships and Awards
- Board Member, Young Professionals of Orange County.
- Ex-Board Member, Orange County Intellectual Property Law Association.
- Member, Orange County Bar Association.
- Member, Federal Bar Association.
- Member, Orange County Women’s Law Association.
- Member, South Asian Bar Association.