- About Us
- One LLP News
- Practice Areas
- Work Product
Imran F. Vakil / Of Counsel
Imran Vakil handles a wide variety of intellectual property and corporate matters. Having been attorney of record in over two hundred state and federal cases, TTAB actions, and related matters, he has a great expertise is in litigation of trademarks, trade dress, copyrights, trade secrets, patents, unfair competition and commercial disputes. With an excellent record, Imran has successfully generated in excess of $15,000,000 in verdicts and settlements for his clients.
In addition to his litigation practice, Imran also regularly advises clients on their rights related to the protection, management, and associated licensing of brand names, packaging designs, literary works, paintings and drawings, audio-visual media, software, confidential and proprietary business information, and inventions. On the transactional side of his practice, Imran has prosecuted of numerous trademarks, copyrights, patents, license agreements, assignment agreements, and developed creative solutions for clients with unique needs.
Prior to practicing law, Imran spent nearly a decade working as a consultant for a number of industries, including electronics manufacturing, clothing manufacturing and distribution, real estate, and others. Accordingly, he has a unique “feet-on-the-ground” perspective when advising clients on such matters as the creation of start-up companies, negotiating with international suppliers and government regulators, multi-national expansion, pitfalls in global sourcing, intellectual property valuations, and strategic alliances.
Imran holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from USC, an MBA from Pepperdine University, and a Juris Doctor from Loyola Law School. Imran has been consecutively selected to the California Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” list, an honor given to only the top 2.5% of intellectual property lawyers in Southern California under forty years old.
Illustrative Professional Experience:
- Litigated a commercial dispute between a manufacturer and distributor in the sporting apparel marketed, with our client receiving an arbitration award in its favor of over $3.6 million dollars.
- Litigated a widely publicized lawsuit involving the “Material Girl” trademark against Madonna and other related entities, successfully settling the case. Read more.
- Litigated a trade secret case wherein our litigation team secured a $7 million verdict for our client, which had been damaged when former employees used the company’s trade secrets to steal customers.
- Litigated a trademark infringement case against Fossil and a number of retailers, successfully settling the case. Read more.
- Litigated a widely publicized lawsuit involving a trademark and trade dress infringement dispute against one of America’s five largest water bottling companies. Despite a potential liability to the client of several million dollars, the case successfully settled with no money changing hands and no disruption of the client’s business. Read more.
- Defended and successfully settled a case including patent, trade secret misappropriation, and unfair competition claims involving remote-controlled video conferencing equipment. Read more.
- Litigated and received a $572,000.00 verdict against client’s former executive. The former employee had set-up a competing company, and had taken numerous confidential documents, materials and other trade secrets. The court returned a verdict in favor of the client on its claims of trademark infringement, copyright infringement, theft of trade secrets, fraud, conversion, and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented a tool manufacturer in a series of patent infringement lawsuits, successfully settling the case.
- Defended manufacturer against patent infringement claims involving personalized streaming video and audio to mobile phones.
- Represented a nation-wide event planning service in a trademark infringement and cyber squatting claims.
- Defended trademark infringement claims relating to a cigar catering services, and compelled the plaintiff (on related counterclaims) to settle, which included paying the client’s damages and attorneys’ fees.
- Defended an electronics manufacturer in a copyright infringement matter, mitigating $8,000,000 in potential damages and finally settling on zero damages.
- Represented film personality seeking to remove unauthorized use of her likeness in cyberspace.
- Represented a large lighting manufacturer against two patent trolls, yielding a multi-million dollar settlement in the client’s favor.
- Litigated and received a $1.2 million dollar judgment in a contractual dispute against the client’s customer.
Loyola Law School, J.D.
Pepperdine University, M.B.A., Finance Emphasis.
University of Southern California, B.S. Mechanical Engineering.
U.S. District Court Central District of California
U.S. District Court Southern District of California
U.S. District Court Northern District of California
U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
Candidate to Practice, U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
American Intellectual Property Law Association
California State Bar, Intellectual Property Section
Orange County Bar Association