David Duckworth is a partner in the Newport Beach office of One LLP where he specializes in intellectual property. His diverse law practice provides a broad range of intellectual property protection, including litigation and licensing, in all aspects of patents, trademarks, trade dress, trade secrets and unfair competition.
David works primarily with technology start-ups, and has particularly enjoyed representing the proverbial “Davids” in litigation against the “Goliaths”, including having brought or defended clients in patent and trademark infringement lawsuits against Apple, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, and Coca-Cola, among many others. His clients have licensed their technologies to Apple, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Logitech, Microsoft, Samsung and Sony. In addition to litigation, David has filed domain name disputes within the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), acted as an arbitrator in resolving patent infringement matters, and been retained as an expert witness in litigation to testify concerning patent prosecution matters.
Prior to law school, David obtained his bachelor of science degree in Mechanical Engineering specializing in electro-mechanical control systems. Thereafter, he worked for Hughes Aircraft as a spacecraft integrations engineer. David’s clients currently work in the fields of: spacecraft; cellular communications; aerospace fasteners; dialysis machines; computer peripherals; vehicular lighting; pet products; oil well drilling components; food packaging equipment; showerheads; and concrete compositions, among many others.
As the parent of a child with developmental disabilities, David dedicates much of his free time to charity work for children with special needs. He is currently on the Board of Directors for CREST Education Center, a school opening soon which will provide special education and therapies for students whose needs cannot be met by their local school district.
- Admitted to the State Bar of California
- Supreme Court of California
- the Northern, Eastern, Southern and Central Districts of California
- S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Court of Federal Claims
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Orange County Intellectual Property Law Association – Intellectual Property and Space Law Sections
- Inn of Court, including been given award for best nationwide presentation in support of legal education with presentation later filmed for showing on Court TV
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Legal Directory Listings:
- Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
- Space News Directory of Worldwide Space
- Who’s Who in American Law
- Inventor named on eight pending or issued U.S. Patents
- Been on the Board of Directors and Advisory Boards of several technology companies